Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Elder Racicot

My mom, my dad and i had the privilege of taking this fine young Elder to the Missionary Training Center last night.
He's from Canada.
We drove to the Salt Lake Airport, and picked him up, then drove him to the MTC. The drive was so much fun. He wasn't even nervous till we rounded the bend and saw the MTC. His gut clenched, so did mine. We drove through all the Security (they sure are protecting Gods Army) parked, then unloaded his baggage, and walked up to the front doors. Surprise! They are locked, actually, it was no surprise at all, it being 10:45 at night.
This was us waiting outside the doors for them to unlock it.
We then all went inside, and and told the nice young man at the counter that we were dropping him off. From Canada.
He looked and us and asked Elder Racicot, "so is this your family?" he looked back and smiled, "yup." My dad chimed in, "he's like a son to us." i have no idea where those words came from. My dad is a soft spoken man, and he rarely speaks his emotions, but i feel that is exactly what my dear friend Toben needed to hear, being over 1,000 miles from his family. i could feel myself beginning to cry, i had to get this over with. the young man at the counter then said, "if you'd like to take a moment to say any last goodbyes, we'll start signing him in." he shook my dads hand, he then shook my mothers but she couldn't resist, and wrapped him in a hug, he then turned to me and silly me i say, "i don't know if i'm allowed to hug you..." my mom assured me it'd be okay, so i hugged him. the poor thing was shaking like a leaf, wether from the nerves or holding me so tight. i'd imagine they both played a part. i never wanted to let go. but i did. only because it would be highly inappropriate to have him dragging me through the halls to all his classes. i told him i'd write him all the time. gave him a smile and said goodbye. we turned for the exit and i waved back at him without turning my head, because the first of many tears to fall that night began their decent.


No comments:

Post a Comment